[kehitysmaaliike-l] Fwd: Conference: Trends and Future of Sustainable Development, June 9-10 2011, Tampere, Finland

Timo Kuronen timo.kuronen at kepa.fi
To Tammi 6 07:52:15 EET 2011

<http://www.mekong.fi>

Dear all,
FYI.

Timo
Kepa Mekong

-----------

*Call for Papers*

_-Please note the abstract deadline January 15!-_

The 13th International Conference organised by
Finland Futures Research Centre and Finland Futures Academy

*TRENDS AND FUTURE OF SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT*

9-10 June 2011, TAMPERE, FINLAND

The 13th International Conference organized by Finland Futures Research
Centre and Finland Futures Academy at University of Turku will deal with
the different dimensions of a sustainable future.

Sustainable development is an actual theme on local, regional and global
scales and requires multidisciplinary and cross-sectoral cooperation.
Environmentally, socially and economically sustainable development can
only be achieved by encouraging knowledge sharing and cooperation
between various sectors and decision makers. The decision made today
shapes our future.

The methods of futures studies include tools for describing possible,
probable and desirable variations of the present and drafting possible
images of the future. By looking at the variety of different
possibilities, we can come closer to shaping the future -- rather than
predicting it. Future studies offer valuable tools to understand and
shape the development of our societies. This conference aims to bring
together the best experts from the fields of Futures Studies and
Sustainable Development and let the scientific community to interact
with policymakers and representatives of companies. By developing images
of alternative futures, the goal of the conference is to give new
viewpoints and novel ideas to decision-makers to assist them towards
more feasible decisions and a sustainable development.

*www.futuresconference.fi/2011 <http://www.futuresconference.fi/2011>*

*KEY AUDIENCES*

    * Academics and researchers interested in future studies and various
      aspects of sustainable development
    * Research and Development Managers
    * Representatives of governmental and municipal organizations
    * Strategic planners

*TOPICS OF INTEREST *

Theoretical, methodological and empirical contributions are solicited in
(but not limited to) the following topical areas:

    * Measuring sustainable development: Sustainability performance
      indicators (environmental, social and/or economic) and measurement
      systems
    * Tools for analyzing different aspects of sustainable development
    * Analyzing drivers of and barriers to the sustainable development
      with different time scales and different spatial coverages
    * The trade-offs and synergies between different aspects and
      dimensions of sustainable development (ecologic, economic, social
      and cultural)
    * Integrated policy planning
    * Sustainable business and corporate social responsibility
    * Sectoral and cross-sectoral approaches to sustainability
    * Multi-level governance and legal aspects of sustainable
      development, e.g. in EU context
    * Policy recommendations and suggestions for decision-making in
      terms of sustainability
    * Specific case studies
    * Sustainability in the future: applications/case studies of futures
      studies and foresight
    * Sustainable futures in North- South perspectives

*KEY NOTE LECTURERS*

Confirmed Keynote lecturers so far are:

*·**Executive Vice President Dr. Anne Brunila*, Fortum Corporation,
Corporate Relations and Sustainability**

·*Prof. Richard Aspinall*, The Macaulay Land Use Research Institute, UK

·*Prof. Peter Nijkamp*, Free University Amsterdam, The Netherlands

·*Prof. Alan Warde*, University of Manchester, UK

All in all we will invite 5 Keynote lecturers.

In addition, we will hear the State of Finland's greetings from the
Permanent Secretary, *Ms. Hannele Pokka* (Ministry of the Environment).

We will have an expert panel chaired by *Prof. Markku Wilenius *(Finland
Futures Research Centre) and consisting among others of *Prof. Em.
Pentti Malaska *(Finland Futures Research Centre), *Prof. Mario
Giampietro *(Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain), *Prof. Sergio
Ulgiati* (Parthenope University of Naples, Italy) and *Mr. Oras
Tynkkynen *(Member of the Finnish Parliament). More names to be confirmed!

**

*CONFERENCE ABSTRACTS*

Consistent with standard practice, each submitted abstract will receive
a minimum of three reviews. Please, submit the abstract no later than
*15 January 2011* via e-mail to address: conference2011 at tse.fi
<mailto:conference2011 at tse.fi>. The subject of the email should be
"Conference 2011 abstract". For more details, please visit our website
www.futuresconference.fi/2011 <http://www.futuresconference.fi/2011>

All accepted conference papers will be published in the conference
proceedings. A selection of these papers will be published as a special
issue of the International Journal Progress in Industrial Ecology (PIE)
following the journal's usual review procedure. Some of the papers may
also be published in Finland Futures Research Centre's publication
series. The official conference language for all papers and
presentations is English.

*FURTHER INFORMATION*

More up-to-date information will appear at the conference website:
www.futuresconference.fi/2011 <http://www.futuresconference.fi/2011>

For further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at
conference2011 at tse.fi <mailto:conference2011 at tse.fi>.

We look forward to seeing you in Tampere in June 2011!

*WWW.FUTURESCONFERENCE.FI/2011 <http://WWW.FUTURESCONFERENCE.FI/2011>*